On 23rd April 2015, Indian-American Dr Vivek Murthy,just 37 years of age, was sworn in as US Surgeon General by Vice President Joe Biden at a function in Virginia. He is now the youngest ever in-charge of US public health.
Dr Vivek Murthy who took the oath on Gita, is the highest ranking Indian-American in Obama’s government. Speaking on the occasion from Fort Myer military base in Virginia, Dr Vivek Murthy said it was extraordinary honour and responsiblity to serve as Surgeon-General.
He also thanked Mr Obama for assigning him this post. Dr Vivek Murthy is country’s 19th Surgeon General. As the US Surgeon General, Vivek Murthy carries the rank of Vice Admiral. Health Secretary Sylvia Burwell also participated in the event.
Vivek Murthy thanked profusely all his family members for extending great support to him in reaching this top position in his life. In his first major speech, Vivek Murthy solemnly promised to improve the public health of the country. Dr Vivek Murthy is nominated by American president Obama and confirmed by majority vote of senate and has term of four years.
SOME FACTS REGARDING SURGEON GENERAL
- Its a term used in United States and in some British Commonwealth countries.
- It refers to senior military medical officer or senior physician commissioned by the government
- The post of Surgeon General began first in 17th century itself.
- In United States, chief public health officer is the Surgeon General.
- Dr Vivek Murthy was born on 10th July 1977 in Huddserfield, United Kingdom, to immigrants from karnataka.
- He did his BA from Harvard University,MBA from Hale School Of Management,MD from Yale School Of Medicine.
- Before this appointment,he was working as Physician in Bostons Brigham And Womens Hospital, and as hospitalist attending Physician and instructor in Medicine at Harvard Medical School.
- In the year 2009, he founded, the Prime Minister of India Doctors for America, a group of 15000 physicians and medical students supporting health reforms of American President Obama.