Eighth edition of World Para Athletics Championships was held in London, UK from 14th to 23rd July, 2017.It was organized by the World Para Athletics subcommittee of the International Paralympic Committee.
- Around 1,300 athletes from 100 countries participated in this championship, contesting at more than 200 medal events.
- Competition was held in the iconic London Stadium in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, the same venue that staged athletics events during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- India ranked at 34th position on medal table. Indian team won 5 medals (1 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze) in this championship.
World Para Athletics Championships 2017 – Medal Table – Top 5:
Gurjar 2nd Indian to win gold at World Para Athletics C’ship
Indian Para-athlete Sundar Singh Gurjar became second Indian to win gold at the World Para Athletics Championships.
- Sundar Singh Gurjar won Gold one in javelin throw at the Para-Athletics World Championships in London.
- Gurjar, whose left hand is amputated, recorded a personal best of 60.36 metres to win the gold medal.
- Earlier, para-athlete Devendra Jhajharia won gold in 2013.
Amit Kumar Wins Silver In World Para Athletics Championships
India’s Amit Kumar Saroha clinched a silver medal in men’s club throw competition in World Para Athletics Championships on July 17, 2017.
- Saroha’s best throw of 30.25m, which came in his third attempt, fetched him a silver medal.
- In the process, Amit Kumar set a new Asian record in this event.
- Serbia’s Zeljko Dimitrijevic retained his title with a world record throw of 31.99m.
- Saroha had also won a silver in this event in the last edition of World Para Athletics Championships in Doha in 2015.
Karamjyoti Dalal wins bronze medal at World Para Athletics
Discus-thrower Karamjyoti Dalal won a Bronze medal at World Para Athletics Championships 2017, in the Women’s category.
- Dalal, at the last moment, managed a throw of 19.02m, just overtaking Baharain’s Alomari Roba, who managed 19.01m.
- Though Karamjyoti was initially declared fourth, Chinese Yang Liwan’s post-event disqualification resulted in Karamjyoti being deemed the bronze medallist.
Sharad Kumar and Varun Bhati winning a silver and bronze at world Para Athletic Championship
High jumpers Sharad Kumar and Varun Bhati won silver and bronze medal respectively at Para Athletics Championships 2017.
- Sharad recorded his career-best performance with a jump of 1.84m, just 0.02m short of USA’s Sam Gwewe who took gold with a championship record.
- Varun Bhati, a Rio Paralympics medallist leaped 1.77m to won the bronze medal.