Indian scientist Shrinivas Kulkarni has won the prestigious Dan David prize for his contribution in the field of astronomy.
Shrinivas Kulkarni is a professor of astrophysics and planetary science at California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.
- He is a pioneer in the field of time-domain astrophysics.
- He has been credited for building and conducting the Palomar Transient Factory, which is a large-area survey of the night sky that has turned up with thousands of stellar explosions.
- Shrinivas kulkarni would share the award with Andrej Udalski of the University of Warsaw and Neil Gehrels of NASA for their discoveries on time-domain astrophysics in the “Future” category of the prize.
- With this award, Shrinivas Kulkarni will join other prominent Indians who have won the Dan David prize like noted author Amitav Ghosh, music conductor Zubin Mehta and renowned chemist CNR Rao.
About Dan David prizes
TheDan David prizes of 1 million dollar each are given every year in the categories of “Past”, “Present” and “Future”.
- It is given to people around the world who have made outstanding contributions to humanity in the sciences, humanities, or through their work in civil society.
- The Dan David Foundation was established in 2000 by the late Dan David, an international businessman and philanthropist.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification