On October 25, 2020, India origin Wavel Ramkalawan, of the opposition Linyon Demokratik Seselwa (LDS) was elected as the President of Seychelles by defeating incumbent Danny Faure of United Seychelles party. His great grandfather was an indentured labourer from Bihar.
- It should be noted that since 1977 it was for the first time that Seychelles got a leader from the opposition party.
- The newly elected President reaffirmed a pledge to hike the minimum wage after COVID-19.
- Seychelles also elected an Indian-origin candidate, Sathya Naidu, to parliament.
–Ramkalawan captured 54.9% of the vote while Danny Faure got 43.5% in the vote. The third candidate, Alain St Ange of One Seychelles party got just 1.6% of the total valid votes.
–LDS also won a majority in the parliament with 25 seats, while United Seychelles got 10.
–It should be noted that in 2015, during a Prime Minister Narendra Modi visit India signed a pact with Seychelles to develop the naval facility on Assumption Island for use by both countries. It includes construction of an airstrip and a jetty besides housing infrastructure, all built through an investment of $ 550 million by India.
- Assumption Island lies some 1,100 kilometres southwest of the Seychelles’ main island of Mahé.
- The proposed naval facility development was aimed at helping Seychelles’ Coast Guard patrol the nation’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) against piracy, illegal fishing and drug-trafficking amongst others.
Recent Related News:
i.The Union Cabinet has approved the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Textiles Committee, India and Nissenken Quality Evaluation Centre, Japan for improving quality and testing of Indian textiles and Clothing for the Japanese market.
ii.The Central Government has approved MoU for cooperation in the field of geology and mineral resources between Geological Survey of India (GSI), Ministry of Mines of India, and Geological Survey of Finland (Geologiantutkimuskeskus), Ministry of Employment and the Economy, Finland.
Currency– Seychellois Rupee