Asha Khemka, an Indian-origin educationist in the United Kingdom (UK) has been named the ‘Asian Businesswoman of the Year’ at the 5th annual Asian Business Awards Midlands, which honours the outstanding achievements of local Asian businesses. The award ceremony was held at Edgbaston cricket ground in Birmingham, UK.
- Asha Khemka is the current Principal and CEO of West Nottinghamshire College. This award has been conferred, to honor her efforts in the field of education and skills.
Other awardees at 5th annual Asian Business Awards Midlands
|Morningside Pharmaceuticals||Asian Business of the Year Award|
|Kailash Suri – Managing Director of Reel Cinemas||Entrepreneur of the Year|
|Nishti Ismail – Founder of Nishti’s Choice||Community Champion|
This event also marked the launch of UK-based Asian Media and Marketing Group (AMG)’s ‘Asian Rich List’ which highlighted the valuations of NRI industrialists including Swaraj Paul and Boparan family.
Brief biography of Asha Khemka:
- Asha Khemka was born on 21st October 1951 in Sitamarhi district of Bihar.
- She left school at the age of 13.
- In 1978, when she moved to UK with her husband and kids, she had no English skills.
- By watching children’s TV programs and talking to other young mothers she acquainted herself with English.
- Later, she acquired a business degree from Cardiff University. Thereafter she became a lecturer and eventually took over as Principal and CEO of UK’s one of the largest college – West Nottinghamshire College.
- In 2013, Asha Khemka was awarded a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire, one of United Kingdom’s highest civilian awards. Dame is the female equivalent of knighthood. She is the second Indian-origin Dame since Maharani Lakshmi Devi Bai Sahiba of Dhar State (located in Malwa region of Western Madhya Pradesh) in 1931.
- Her husband Shankar Lal Khemka is an orthopaedic surgeon. The couple have one daughter and two sons.