The Security Exercise Prasthan 2023 was carried out by Commodore Rajneesh Sharma Naval Officer-in-Charge (NOIC), under the aegis of Eastern Naval Command, Indian Navy (IN) in Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh (AP).
- The exercise was conducted on the Rig ship Platinum Explorer of ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation) and RG Fixed Oil Platform of Vedanta Ltd.
Aim of Exercise:
Rehearsing responses in handling contingencies and checking the efficacy of security mechanisms at Offshore Development Area (ODA)
It involved around 2,500 personnel and IN comprised of INS (Indian Naval Ship) Kora, INS Tihayu, four Immediate Support Vessels, Marine Commandoes, Explosive Ordinance Disposal Team and Helicopters. ICG Ship Kanaklata Barua also participated in the exercise.
i.The Exercise Prasthan is held every 6 months under the aegis of IN and involves the participation of all stakeholders in the maritime domain to ensure offshore security.
- Earlier it was held in April 2023 in the offshore development area off Mumbai, Maharashtra.
ii.In another event, ICG Region East, following its motto ‘We Protect,’ took preventive measures during an event, warning AP fishermen about an approaching low-pressure area, ensuring their safety at sea.
IN to host Mega Military Wargame ‘Milan’ in Feb 2024
IN is all set to host nine-day mega naval exercise namely ‘Milan’ from February 19 to 27, 2024 in the Arabian Sea, It will see the see participation of over 50 countries including United States (US), Japan, Australia, France, Bangladesh, South Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia will participate in this exercise.
- It’s India’s largest-ever military wargame, including major maneuvers, advanced air defense, anti-submarine, and anti-surface drills.
- It is a biennial multilateral naval exercise which was initiated by the Indian Navy in 1995.
- Started with ‘Look East Policy,’ the exercise grew with ‘Act East Policy’ and ‘Security and Growth for All in the Region (SAGAR) initiative’.
- MILAN 22 was conducted at/ off Visakhapatnam from 25 Feb – 04 Mar 22 and witnessed participation from 39 countries
Recent Related News:
i.IN along with Japan Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF)conducts the 7th edition of the
bilateral Japan-India Maritime Exercise 2023 (JIMEX 23) in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh from July 5 to 10, 2023. This edition marks the 11th anniversary of JIMEX, since its inception in 2012.
ii.The 7th edition of IN – the United States of America (USA) Navy (USN) Salvage and the
Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) exercise, SALVEX was conducted from June 26 to July 6 2023 in Kochi, Kerala to strengthen US and Indian divers’ capability in diving and salvage techniques.
About Indian Navy (IN):
Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS)– Admiral Radhakrishnan Hari Kumar
Headquarters– Integrated Defence Headquarters, Ministry of Defence, New Delhi, Delhi