The Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore is the only Indian University to be placed among the top 10 global universities by Times Higher Education (THE).
- As per the THE ‘Best Small Universities in the World 2017’ ranking released on March 7, 2017, IISc has been placed at 8th position among the list of top 10 global universities.
- However, besides IISc, no other Indian University could find any position under the top 20 ranking.
Top 10 Universities in the Ranking
|1||California Institute of Technology||United States|
|2||École Normale Supérieure||France|
|3||Pohang University of Science and Technology||South Korea|
|5||Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa||Italy|
|6||Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna||Italy|
|7||École Normale Supérieure de Lyon||France|
|8||Indian Institute of Science||India|
|9||Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences||Sweden|
|10||Free University of Bozen-Bolzano||Italy|
Key Features of the Ranking
In 2016, 2 Indian institutions were placed in the top 20 namely the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati, and Savitribai Phule Pune University at 14 and 18 respectively.
- Only the universities of French and Italy took three places each in the top 10.
- As per the small universities are those which have less than 5,000 students and which teach and research in more than four disciplines.
- Small universities provide high student satisfaction and good working relationships between students and their professors.
About Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore
The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) is a public university for scientific research and higher education located in Bangalore, India established in 1909.
- It is also locally known as the “Tata Institute” and acquired the status of a Deemed University in 1958.
- IISc has made significant contributions to life sciences, advanced computing, space, and nuclear technologies
Recognitions Achieved by IISc
It has been ranked 11th and 18th worldwide (and ranked 3rd and 6th in Asia) in Citations per Faculty category in 2014 and 2015 respectively of THE ranking.
- IISc was the first Indian institute to feature on Times Higher Education World University Rankings for engineering and technology in the year 2015-16 at 99th position.
- IISc has also been ranked 6th in the criteria of research by the Times Higher Education Rankings for the BRICS & Emerging Economies Rankings 2016.
- The university has been ranked 20 worldwide in the Global Employability University Ranking 2015 rankings.
About THE World University Rankings
Times Higher Education World University Rankings is an annual publication of university rankings by Times Higher Education (THE) magazine.
- The ranking provides the definitive list of the world’s best universities, evaluated across teaching, research, international outlook, reputation among others.
- The THE’s data is trusted by governments and universities and are a vital resource for students, helping them choose where to study.
- To be eligible for the World Small Universities Rankings, universities must appear in Times Higher Education’s World University Rankings 2016-17, teach more than four subjects, and have fewer than 5,000 students.