On the occasion of 25 Years of Army-Industry Partnership with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) i.e. on January 21, 2021, Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM), a company of CII organized a seminar on Army-industry partnership in New Delhi.
- The seminar marked the signing of an memorandum of understanding (MoU) between Indian Army & SIDM to accelerate indigenisation and innovation under Atmanirbhar Bharat initiative to reduce dependence on foreign origin equipment.
- It was signed by Director General of SIDM Sujith Haridas and Major General KV Jauhar, Additional Director General (ADG) Army Design Bureau.
- The seminar was virtually addressed by Chief of the Army Staff Manoj Mukund Naravane.
Indian Army Communicators:
In order to have a collaborative engagement between the technology provider, manufacturer and the user, the Indian army has reorganized its structure in the following way:
- The Deputy Chief of Army Staff (Capability Development & Sustenance) will look into the revenue and capital routes of procurement.
- The Army Design Bureau (ADB) will act as a direct facilitator with the industry and connect the defence manufacturers directly with the user.
–Collaboration between the Indian Army and industry started in 1995.
–The Government has made relevant reforms for indigenisation and achieving self-reliance in defence sector with the active support from the Army
–75% of Indian Army ‘s projects in the 13th Army plan, costing over Rs 1,50,000 crore are supporting efforts towards the Make in India programme.
Recent Related News:
i.On December 17, 2020, a Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) meeting was held under the Chairmanship of Union Minister Rajnath Singh, Ministry of Defence (MoD) in New Delhi where 7 Capital Acquisition proposals regarding military hardware worth Rs. 28,000 Crore were approved.
ii.DRDO designed submachine gun ‘5.56X30 mm JVPC’ undergoes successful Trials On 7th December, 2020, 5.56 X 30 mm Joint Venture Protective Carbine (JVPC) designed by Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE), a lab of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully finished the final phase of user trials. The Gun will now be inducted into the Indian Army.
About Indian Army:
Chief of the Army Staff Manoj Mukund Naravane was conferred with the Honorary Chief of Nepal Army rank in November 2020.
Headquarters– New Delhi
About Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM):
President– Jayant Damodar Patil
Headquarters– New Delhi