Indian Army participates in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations(ASEAN) Defence Ministers Meeting (ADMM) Plus Expert Working Group (EWG) on Counter Terrorism Field Training Exercise (FTX) 2023.
- The exercise takes place from 25th to 30th September 2023 in Primorsky Region of Russia.
- The main objective of the exercise is strengthening and promoting regional cooperation in the field of counter-terrorism.
- Indian Army is represented by a Contingent consisting of 32 personnel from 14th Battalion affiliated with the Rajputana Rifles.
About the Counter Terrorism Field Training Exercise(FTX) 2023:
i.It is a multinational joint military exercise being hosted by Russia as a co-chair of the EWG along with Myanmar.
- The exercise comprises a number of counter-terrorism drills including destroying of terrorist groups in a fortified area.
ii.The exercise takes place in two stages including
- Stage 1: The representatives of the military command authorities determine the concept and develop a decision to conduct an anti-terrorist operation at the operational and tactical levels.
- Stage 2: Military contingents of the participating countries work together as part of a multinational contingent of troops to jointly develop practical actions in the course of the anti-terrorist operation at the Sergeyevsky firing range in Russia.
iii.ADMM Plus exercise activities are conducted in seven expert working groups: humanitarian mine action, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, military medicine, maritime security, countering terrorism, organizing peacekeeping operations, and cyber security.
ADMM Plus EWG on counter terrorism conducted Table Top Exercise at Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar from 2nd to 4th August 2023.
About ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting (ADMM)Plus:
i.The ADMM-Plus is a platform for ASEAN and its eight Dialogue Partners Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, Russia and the United States of America(USA).
- The dialogue partners of ASEAN are collectively referred to as the “Plus Countries”.
- The objective of the ADMM-Plus initiative is to strengthen security and defence cooperation for peace, stability, and development in the region.
ii.The ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting (ADMM)Plus has been meeting annually to allow dialogue and cooperation among ASEAN and Plus countries since 2017.
- The first ADMM Plus meeting was held in 2010 in Ha Noi, Vietnam.
Note: ADMM-Plus also known as SMOA Plus which is a platform for ASEAN and its eight Dialogue Partners.
Recent Related News:
i.Prime Minister (PM) of India Narendra Modi attended the 20th ASEAN-India Summit and the 18th East Asia Summit (EAS) hosted by Indonesia as the Chair of ASEAN 2023 On September 7, 2023
ii.The 20th ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations)-India Economic Ministers’ meeting was held in Semarang, Indonesia which was co-chaired by India and Indonesia on August 21, 2023.
About Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN):
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) was established on 8 August 1967 in Bangkok, Thailand.
The ASEAN has 10 Members including Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Brunei Darussalam, Viet Nam, Lao PDR (People’s Democratic Republic), Myanmar, and Cambodia.
Secretary General – Dr Kao Kim Hourn
Headquarters – Jakarta, Indonesia
Established – 1967