On Wednesday 13th May 2015, fourteen year old Karan Menon,Indian-American student, has won the prestigious National Geographic. Karan Menon, a eight grade student competed against ten finalists from across USA, and won National Geographic Bee Championship held at National Geographic headquarters .
- Seven out of ten finalists were of Indian origin.
- Karan Menon, apart from winning the championship title also got prize award of 85,000 US dollars college scholarship, lifetime membership of National Geographic society and expedition for two to Galapagos Islands.
- Karan added his name into the list of all those Indo-Americans who had previously won the Geographical Bee competition.
- 11year old Shriya Yarlagadda of Michigan, won the first runners up and recieved USD 25,000.
- 13 year old eight grader Sojas Wagle won the 3rd place and USD 10,000.
- Karan answered all the seven championship questions to win the title.
- 2015 competition was hosted by journalist Soledad O’ Brien.
- 4 million students competed in this year spelling bee contests from 11000 schools, representing 12% of USA schools.
- National Geographical President and CEO Mr Gary knell told the live audience there that geography helps prepare students to make better world.
- Other seven finalists who won USD 500 were Kapil nathan,Nicholas Mohanan,Patrick Taylor,Abhinav Karthikeyan,Lucy Chae,Shreyas Varathan and Tejas Badgujar.
About National Geographic Bee Competitions
- It is an annual geography contest conducted by National Geographical Society.
- It was started in the year 1989 for students of class four grade to eight grade belonging to US schools.
- Various topics in geography includes cultural,economic, plants and animals, physical geography etc