On February 05, 2022 Indian Under-19 (U19) cricket team lifted a record-extending fifth International Cricket Council (ICC) U19 Cricket World Cup (CWC) title after defeating England in the final that was held at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in North Sound, Antigua and Barbuda. During the tournament finals, Raj Bawa took 5 wickets-haul to be named as the Player of the Match. Notably, he is the 1st Indian player to take 5-wickets in the finals of all ICC events.
- Indian U19 team under the captaincy of Yash Dull lifted the Under-19 Cricket World Cup (CWC) 2022 without losing a single match in the entire tournament.
- The match winning team is coached by former Indian Cricketer VVS Laxman
i.England, having scored 189 were all-out and India chased it with 4 wickets to spare, with the top scorers from Shaik Rasheed (50) & Nishant Sindhu (50).
ii.This is the fourteenth edition of the Under-19 Cricket World Cup, and the first to be held in the West Indies.
iii.South Africa’s Dewald Brevis became the highest run-scorer of the tournament with 506 runs in only six innings, was named Player of the Tournament.
Note – ICC U19 World Cup tournament is conducted once in every 2-years, since its inaugural edition in 1998.
2022 ICC U19 World Cup Tournament Overview:
- Title Winner – India
- Player of the Match (Finals) – Raj Bawa (India)
- Player of the Tournament – Dewald Brevis (South Africa)
- Host Country – West Indies
- Total Participating Teams – 16
3 Indian Players to be part of ICC’s ‘Most Valuable Team’ of 2022 U-19 World Cup
At the end of the 2022 Tournament, ICC released the list of ‘Most Valuable Team’ of the tournament consisting of 12-members. Three of the 12 players were from the tournament winning Indian side.
- India’s U19 Captain Yash Dhull was named as the Captain of ICC’s ‘Most Valuable Team’ of the U-19 World Cup.
- 3 Indian U19 players in the list – Yash Dhull (Captain), Raj Bawa, Vicky Ostwal
Selection Panel that chose the 12-players includes, commentators Samuel Badree, Natalie Germanos, ICC Match Referee Graeme Labrooy and journalist Sandipan Banerjee.
U19 CWC winning Indian Captains:
- 2000 – Mohammad Kaif
- 2008 – Virat Kohli
- 2012 – Unmukt Chand
- 2018 – Prithvi Shaw
- 2022 – Yash Dhull
Note – India is the most successful team in ICC U19 World Cup, winning a total of 5 trophies.
Chairman – Greg Barclay (New Zealand)
CEO – Geoff Allardice (Australia)
Independent Female Director – Indra Nooyi (India)