India virtually hosted the 7th BRICS Astronomy Working Group (BAWG) meeting of Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa at Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune (Maharashtra) during May 19-20, 2021. The meeting was held under the Science, Technology, and Innovation track of the BRICS 2021 calendar.
- From the Indian side, IUCAA, Pune, and Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India coordinated the meeting.
- S. K. Varshney, Scientist G & Head International Cooperation presented India’s (DST) perspectives on highlighting research activities and research infrastructure created by India.
- Researchers, Academicians, astronomers, and Scientific Institutions from all 5 BRICS countries participated in the meeting.
- During the meeting, the participants highlighted the importance of increasing collaboration among astronomers from the BRICS countries.
- India assumed the BRICS Presidency from January 2021.
- Note – Prof. Ranjan Gupta is the Chairman of BAWG India.
i.The participants recommended the networking of existing Telescopes in BRICS countries and creating a regional Data Network. It was agreed to develop a flagship project in this area.
ii.They also discussed the future course of research in the area such as
- Building an intelligent telescope and data network, study of transient astronomical phenomena in the universe, big data, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning application to process data generated by enhanced multi-wavelength telescope observatory.
iii.Indian Scientific institutions which participated in the BAWG meeting are Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai, Maharashtra; Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA), Bangalore, Karnataka; National Center for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA) Pune, Maharashtra; Delhi University.
- It provides a platform for BRICS member countries to collaborate in the field of astronomy.
- It recommends member countries to present scientific results of the work carried out by them. This will help in seeking funding support which is offered by the BRICS funding agencies.
- The 2020 BAWG meeting was hosted by Russia in September, 2020.
Recent Related News:
March 12, 2021, Under the chairship of India, the First Meeting of BRICS ‘Contact Group on Economic and Trade Issues (CGETI)’ was held from 9th March 2021 to 11th March 2021.
Establishment – 2009
Members – Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa
2021 Chair – India