On June 8, 2017, India and the UN Office for South- South Cooperation (UNOSSC) has launched a partnership fund for supporting sustainable development projects across the world.
More Details about India-UN Development Partnership Fund:
The partnership fund was launched on the occasion of the ‘World Oceans Day’ at Permanent Mission of India to UN.M J Akbar – Minister of State for External Affairs, Syed Akbaruddin – India’s Permanent Representative to the UN, Jorge Chediek – Envoy of the Secretary-General on South- South Cooperation and Director of United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC), were present at the occasion.
- The objective of this partnership is to reduce poverty and hunger, improving health, education and equality, and expanding access to clean water, energy and livelihoods.
- The fund will be deployed to implement country-level projects that are geared towards achieving the 17 sustainable development goals of the 2030 Agenda.
- The fund will be managed by UNOSSC and will support Southern-owned and led, demand-driven, and transformational sustainable development projects across the developing world.
- Special attention will be given to projects in Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and Small Island Developing States (SIDS).
- ‘Climate Early Warning System in Pacific Island Countries’ has been announced as the first project to receive support from this fund. This project will benefit seven Pacific island countries – Cook Islands, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, the Solomon Islands and Tonga.
This is first time India has entered into a partnership with the UN that envisages triangular cooperation with other developing countries.
About United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC):
UNOSSC was formed by the UN General Assembly to advocate for and coordinate South-South and triangular cooperation within the UN system.
- UNOSSC is hosted by United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) since 1974.
- Director of UNOSSC is the Envoy of the Secretary-General on South-South Cooperation. The Director reports to UNDP Administrator.