Indian Government has signed a Civil Nuclear Agreement with Sri Lankan Government during the island country’s President Maithripala Sirisena’s visit to India. As per the agreement, India will assist Sri Lanka to build its nuclear energy infrastructure. India could also sell light small-scale nuclear reactors to Sri Lanka which wants to establish 600 MW of nuclear capacity by 2030. The agreement was signed in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Sirisena.
Other than the historical Nuclear Agreement, the leaders have witnessed the signing of agreements on,
- Agricultural cooperation
- Memorandum of understanding on Nalanda University
- Agreement on cultural co-operation.
Knowledge is Wealth
- The Administrative Capital of Sri Lanka is Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte.
- The Commercial Capital of Sri Lanka is Colombo.
- Prime Minister – Ranil Wickremesinghe. Currency – Sri Lankan Rupee (LKR).
- India is the Largest Trading Partner of Sri Lanka.
- Ceylon Tea – Considered as the cleanest tea in the World.
- Sri Lanka is the Second largest exporter of Tea. (First – Kenya).
- Volley Ball is the National Sport of Sri Lanka.