India will manufacture 200 helicopter in collaboration with Russia.
This move is move aimed at boosting India’s defence sector and is a part of intensification and diversification of both nation’s strategic ties.
The joint manufacture of 200 helicopters in India with the transfer of technology, and licence production, then this is a big thing.
India has decades old defence cooperation with Russia and despite of defence deals with other countries like decision to buy 36 Rafale fighter aircraft from France, the relations remains vibrant.
This could possibly be the first defence project under ‘Make in India’ initiative.
Indo-Russia Defence Relationship
Defence relations between India and the Russian Federation have a historical perspective. The Soviet Union was an important supplier of defence equipment before its disintegration.
India and Russia have several major joint military programmes including:
- BrahMos cruise missile programme
- 5th generation fighter jet programme
- Sukhoi Su-30MKI programme (230+ to be built by Hindustan Aeronautics)
- Ilyushin/HAL Tactical Transport Aircraft
Joint Military Exercises
- It is a joint, bi-annual military exercise conducted by India and Russia since 2003.
- The exercise is tasked with boosting coperation and interoperability between the Russian and Indian navies.
- The exercise involves live firing drills, as well as air defence and anti-submarine operations.
- It is annual military exercise conducted by the Air forces of India and Russia that is held in two parts.
- First part was held at Astrakhan region in Russia and second part was held in Halwara, Punjab in India
- The objective of the exercise is to improve operational interoperability between the respective Air forces and training.