India with a score of 46.56 retained 142nd Rank (out of 180 countries) in the World Press Freedom Index 2021 released by international journalism not-for-profit body, Reporters Sans Frontiers (RSF) (also known as Reporters Without Borders).
- The index was topped by Norway (for the 5th time), followed by Finland & Sweden.
- India has been classified as a country with a ‘bad’ environment for Press Freedom, it shared the classification with Brazil, Mexico & Russia.
- India was ranked 142nd in the 2020 World Press Freedom Index rankings.
World Press Freedom Index:-
The World Press Freedom Index is an annual ranking, which ranks countries according to the level of freedom available to journalists. It has been releasing reports since 2002.
It has 6 Indicators – Pluralism, Media Independence, Environment and self-censorship, Legislative framework, Transparency, Infrastructure & Abuses.
|Rank||Country||Global Score *|
* 0-15 Pts – Good situation, 15.01-25 Pts – Satisfactory,
25.01 – 35 Pts – Problematic, 35.01 – 55 pts – Difficult,
55.01 – 100 Pts – very serious situation
- The Country of Eritrea sits at the bottom of the rankings (180).
- China is ranked at 177, it is ranked above Turkmenistan at 178 & North Korea at 179.
- Southern Asian Region – Nepal 106, Sri Lanka 127, Myanmar (before the coup) at 140, Pakistan 145 & Bangladesh at 152.
Reason for India’s downfall
i.The report states that an environment of intimidation has been created by the present Nationalist Government which makes it tough for Journalists to function.
ii.Journalists are exposed to every kind of attacks including police violence, ambush by political activists and reprisals instigated by criminal groups.
i.Journalism has been completely or partly blocked in 73% of the 180 countries ranked by RSF.
ii.Only 12% of the Index’s 180 countries (7%) offer a favourable environment for journalism.
Recent Related News:
i.August 11, 2020, Asian College of Journalism(ACJ) award 2019 was conferred upon Journalist Nitin Sethi for investigative journalism and K P Narayana Kumar Memorial Award 2019 for Social Impact Journalism is bestowed upon Journalist Shiv Sahay Singh.
About Reporters Sans Frontiers (RSF)
Secretary-General – Christophe Deloire
Headquarters – Paris, France