According to HSBC Expat survey 2016, India ranks third among the countries offering the highest average annual salary to expatriates. Switzerland topped the list to offer highest average salary of about $188,275 a year to expats while Hong Kong was listed second
Key highlights of the HSBC Expat Explorer 2016 survey
Expatriates living in India are the third-highest paid in the world.Out of almost 27,000 expats polled, the average salary of foreigners living in India was $145,057 while the highest paid were foreign workers in Switzerland who got an average salary of $188,275, followed by Hong Kong at $169,756.
- The average annual expat salary in Switzerland was almost twice the global average. It tops the expat career ranking for a second year. The combination of high salaries and excellent work culture has placed Switzerland at the top of the table.
- Respondents regarded India as a good place to progress their career, start a business or achieve long-term financial goals.
- Almost 89% of expats in India receive at least one financial benefit from their employer for living in India. Expats in India are also able to save more, with 44% saying that living in India accelerated their progress towards making long-term savings and investments, compared with 39% across the region.
- India attracts more expat entrepreneurs than the rest of Asia Pacific. Of expats in India, 11% had moved to set up a business when compared with an average of 5% across Asia Pacific.
- Nearly two-thirds, or 64%, of expats living in India said they had confidence in the country and just over half 53% said they had confidence in the political system.
- Despite the large pay packets in Asia, Europe was considered the best destinations for a successful expat career.
- Six European countries made it into the top 10 of the ranking that included scores for economics, experience and family.
- The survey showed Singapore topped for that, followed by New Zealand and Canada. On that ranking, India came 26th, scoring particularly low for “experience,” the measurement for lifestyle and ease of setting up there. The U.S. ranked 30th.
HSBC Expat Explorer surveys 2016
Expat Survey is conducted by HSBC annually covering about 100 nations. In the ninth edition of this annual survey, nearly 27,000 expats from 190 countries and territories shared their thoughts and experiences of expat life.
- The Expat Explorer surveys countries after combining views of expats about economics, experience and family, with 27 questions.
- Young Expat (aged 18-34) moved abroad to build a career and are more likely to achieve greater job satisfaction, with nearly half (49%) saying they find their work more fulfilling in their host country than it was at home.
- HSBC Holdings PLC is a British multinational banking and financial services company headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It is the world’s sixth largest bank by total assets, with total assets of US$2.67 trillion.
- Headquarter: London
- Founded: March 1991
- Chairman: Douglas Flint