According to internet speed testing analysis firm Ookla, India ranked 67th for fixed broadband and 109th for mobile internet speeds in February 2018 on Speedtest Global Index.
Highlights of Speedtest Global Index – February 2018:
Ookla’s Speedtest Global Index compares internet speed data from around the world on month-to-month basis through 7021 servers globally.
- As per the index, global average mobile internet download speed in February 2018 was 22.16 mbps while global fixed broadband download speed was 42.72 Mbps.
- Fixed broadband download speeds in India has increased from average speeds of 18.82 megabit per second (Mbps) in November 2017 to 20.72 mbps in February 2018.
- Mobile internet download speed too has risen to 9.01 mbps in February 2018 from 8.80 mbps in November 2017.
- It is to be noted that on both the modes, download speed in India is still below the global average.
- However, India attained second rank in terms of showing most improvement in mobile data speeds.
- Among India’s neighbouring countries, China ranked 26th, Sri Lanka 82nd, Pakistan 92nd, Bangladesh 115th and Nepal 118th in terms of mobile internet download speed.
- In terms of fixed broadband download speed, China ranked 20th, Sri Lanka 76th, Bangladesh 86th, Nepal 89th and Pakistan 112nd.
- Norway topped the Speedtest Global Index, February 2018 for mobile internet with an average download speed of 62.07 Mbps, while Singapore ranked first for fixed broadband with a 161.53 Mbps average download.
Fixed Broadband Speed – Top 5:
|Hong Kong||129.64 Mbps|
|South Korea||117.49 Mbps|
Mobile Internet Download Speed – Top 5:
|United Arab Emirates||51.72 Mbps|