India has ranked 177th among 180 countries on Environmental Performance Index 2018. This marks a drop from 141st position in 2016. The Index was released on January 23, 2018, the first day of World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland.
About Environment Performance Index (EPI):
The biennial Environment Performance Index is a method of quantifying and numerically marking the environmental performance of countries across the world.
- It has been developed by Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy – Yale University and Center for International Earth Science Information Network – Columbia University in collaboration with the World Economic Forum and the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission.
- Countries are ranked on 24 performance indicators placed under 10 broad categories (issues) which reflect environmental health and ecosystem vitality.
- Drinking water quality, trend in CO2 emission, household air quality and change in forest cover are some of the indicators on which countries are assessed.
Highlights of Environment Performance Index 2018:
The EPI report outlined that countries such as India, China and Pakistan which scored badly in air quality category are facing public health crisis that need urgent attention.
- Decline in India’s rank as compared to 2016 can be attributed to the quality of data and the broadening the base of parameters.
- However, Indian Government’s ‘Ujjwala Yojana’ got a special mention in the report. It highlighted that if the objective of this scheme is accomplished, millions of Below Poverty Line (BPL) households will be benefited. Under Ujjwala Scheme, LPG connections are being provided to women from Below Poverty Line (BPL) households.
- Switzerland topped the index followed by France and Denmark at No.2 and No. 3 respectively.
- Data from international organisations like World Bank and the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation has also been taken into consideration for compiling EPI 2018.
Environment Performance Index 2018 – Top 5:
Environment Performance Index 2018 – Bottom 5: