India has ranked 100th among 149 nations on Legatum Prosperity Index – 2017. This marks an improvement of 4 spots as compared to 104th rank in previous year.
About Legatum Prosperity Index:
Legatum Prosperity Index is compiled by Legatum Institute, a London-based international think tank and educational charity.
- The index was first published in 2006.
- It measures economic and social wellbeing by assessing countries on 104 indicators placed under nine broad pillars of prosperity Economic Quality, Business Environment, Governance, Education, Health, Safety & Security, Personal Freedom, Social Capital and Natural Environment.
Highlights of Legatum Prosperity Index – 2017
In the individual pillar of prosperity rankings of 2017, India performed best on Governance and Economic Quality, while it scored lowest on the Natural Environment pillar.
- Among other indicators, Economic Quality pillar also takes into consideration the proportion of the population with bank accounts. In India, proportion of the population with bank accounts increased to 53 percent in 2014 from 35 percent in 2011.
- India’s biggest positive change, compared to last year, was in Business Environment pillar, on which its ranking improved by 21 places. This improvement in Business Environment ranking came on account of improved intellectual property rights.
- India is now catching up with China, which ranked 90th this year.
- During 2017, there was an overall increase in World prosperity. It is now 2.6% higher than in 2007 and is now at the highest level in the last decade.
- Norway topped Legatum Prosperity Index – 2017. It regained the first spot from New Zealand.
Top 10 Countries – Legatum Prosperity Index – 2017: