The US Chambers of Commerce has released the International Intellectual Property index for the year 2015. The annual IP index evaluates a total of 30 countries and India occupies 29th position. Actually India has moved up one position, after being ranked last for two consecutive years. The only country which is behind India is Thailand. The index is calculated on the basis of 30 criteria such as patent, copyright and trademark protections, engagement in international treaties.. etc. The top rankers are the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, and Singapore.
Knowledge is Wealth
- WIPO – World Intellectual Property Organization. Established in 1967. Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland. Member states – 188.
- WIPO was created to encourage creative activity and alsoo to promote the protection of intellectual property throughout the world.
- Francis Gurry is the current Director general of WIPO.
- The Indian Patent Office is headquartered at Kolkata with branches in Chennai, New Delhi and Mumbai.
- The current Controller General of Patents, Designs & Trade Marks is Chaitanya Prasad.