In accordance with the “INFORM Report 2020:Shared evidence for managing crises and disasters” released by research centre INFORM, operating under European Commission (EU), India has ranked at 31st place with an inform risk of 5.4, means risk of humanitarian crises and disasters . The report ranked the countries based on “INFORM Risk Index” which has been topped by Somalia with an inform risk of 8.9. The report has analyzed 191 countries.
- Notably, this report is produced by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN-OCHA) on behalf of all INFORM Partners.
Ranks of Top 3 Countries:
|2||Central African Republic||8.6|
|3||South Sudan & Yemen||8.1|
i.North Korea ranks among the most dangerous places to live as its people are exposed to high risks of natural disaster, poverty and social injustice.
ii.North Korea was rated as the 39th most dangerous place.
About INFORM Risk Index:
It is the first global, objective and transparent tool for understanding the risk of regions based upon crises and disasters. A higher figure means more exposure to risks. The report considers the following while framing the index
- Natural Factors: Tsunami, Earthquake, Drought, Flood, Epidemic and Tropical Cyclones
- Human Factors: Human Conflicts and conflict risks
- Socio-Economic factors: Inequality, vulnerable people, deprivation and aid dependency
- Institutional: DRR, Governance
- Infrastructure: Communication, Physical infrastructure, Access to health system
INFORM is a multi-stakeholder forum for developing shared, quantitative analysis relevant to humanitarian crises and disasters. INFORM is a collaboration of the Inter-Agency Standing Committee and the European Commission.
- The Joint Research Center of European Commission is the scientific and technical lead for INFORM.
About United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN-OCHA):
Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator– Mark Lowcock
Headquarter– New York, United States (US) & Geneva, Switzerland