In accordance with the “Countries Global Ranking of Startup Ecosystem 2020” by global innovation mapping and research company StartupBlink, India ranked at 23rd position, a drop of 6 places from 17th position in 2019. The ranking has been topped by the United States (US), followed by the United Kingdom (UK), and Israel at 2nd and 3rd position.
- It should be noted that India is home to the third-largest startup ecosystem.
|1||United States (US)|
|2||United Kingdom (UK)|
Ups and Down of Indian cities; 4 Indian cities among top 100 in 2020 ranking
Among the top 100 startup cities, only four India cities were named in “2020 Cities Global Ranking of Startup Ecosystem” while total of 38 cities made it to the world’s top 1000 cities with startup ecosystems.
- Bengaluru (down by three ranks to 14th position),
- New Delhi (up by three spots to 15th position)
- Mumbai (improved by seven spots to 22nd position)
- Hyderabad (falling 21 ranks to disappointing 96th position). Last year, seven cities were ranked in the top 100 list versus four this year.
- Note: This ranking is contrary to India’s annual Ease of Doing Business ranking, which continues to be on an improving path.
StartupBlink measures ecosystems based on the number of startups, their quality and business environment. The ranking is based on data from over 60,000 startups, over 14,000 coworking spaces, 100 global influencers based in multiple cities.
The ranking is carried out on the basis the impact startups have been able to make in the country.
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO)– Eli David
- Headquarter– Zurich, Switzerland