On July 19, 2017, India presented its ‘Voluntary National Review Report on Implementation of Sustainable Development Goals’ to the United Nations (UN). The report was presented by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Arvind Panagariya at the United Nations high-level political forum on ‘Sustainable Development in 2017’.
Highlights of India’s ‘Voluntary National Review Report on Implementation of Sustainable Development Goals’:
The report details various measures and programmes being implemented across India towards achieving the core objectives of the 17 ambitious global goals, including poverty eradication, economic growth, ending hunger and achieving food security, gender equality, promoting inclusive and sustainable industrialisation and climate action.
- The programmes highlighted in the report are the ‘Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act’, ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’, ‘Sagarmala’, ‘Swachh Bharat’ campaign and the Aadhaar Act.
- The report outlined that as the fastest growing major economy of the world, India is uniquely placed to deliver on its commitments to inclusive and sustainable development.
- As per the report, Indian Government will conduct Bi-annual reviews with the state governments for identifying good practices as well as challenges and undertaking the appropriate course corrections.
- As per the report, Indian Government will work towards ensuring a greater flow of finances and technology from developed countries to developing and least developed nations.
About Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
Sustainable Development Goals(SDGs), officially known as Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development is a set of 17 “Global Goals” with 169 targets.
- It is an initiative by United Nations and was prepared through a deliberative process involving its 193 Member States.
- SDGs were adopted in September 2015 at the UN Sustainable Development Summit in New York, US.
List of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
|Goal 1||No Poverty|
|Goal 2||Zero Hunger|
|Goal 3||Good Health and Well-Being|
|Goal 4||Quality Education|
|Goal 5||Gender Equality|
|Goal 6||Clean Water and Sanitation|
|Goal 7||Affordable and Clean Energy|
|Goal 8||Decent Work and Economic Growth|
|Goal 9||Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure|
|Goal 10||Reduced Inequalities|
|Goal 11||Sustainable Cities and Communities|
|Goal 12||Responsible Consumption and Production|
|Goal 13||Climate Action|
|Goal 14||Life Below Water|
|Goal 15||Life on Land|
|Goal 16||Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions|
|Goal 17||Partnerships for the Goals|