The Indian Army participated in the Multinational Military Exercise ‘Shantir Ogroshena 2021’ (Front Runner of Peace) held at Bangabandhu Senanibas (BBS), Bangladesh from April 4-12, 2021. It is an UN-mandated Counterterrorism exercise.
- Theme – ‘Robust Peacekeeping Operations’
- Aim – To Strengthen the procedures and enhance interoperability among neighbourhood countries.
- Other Participants – Royal Bhutan Army, Sri Lankan Army & Bangladesh Army
- The exercise was held to mark the Birth Centenary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman who is the ‘Father of the Nation’ of Bangladesh.
- Military Observers – USA, UK, Turkey, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Singapore.
- The Indian Army contingent consisted of 30 Personnel including Officers, JCOs (Junior Commissioned Officer) & Jawans from the Dogra Regiment.
- During the exercise, the armies of all participating nations shared their experiences & enhanced their situational awareness through information exchange platforms.
- Indian Army Chief M M Naravane attended the closing ceremony of a multilateral UN-mandated counterterrorism exercise.
- Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina was the Chief Guest of the Closing ceremony.
Recent Related News:
i.On October 3, 2020, the 2nd edition of Indian Navy (IN) – Bangladesh Navy (BN) Bilateral Exercise Bongosagar was held in Northern Bay of Bengal which was followed by the 3rd edition of IN – BN Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) from 4 to 5 October 2020 at the same venue.
About Indian Army:
Chief of the Army Staff– Manoj Mukund Naravane,
Headquarters– New Delhi
Capital – Thimphu
Currency – Bhutanese Ngultrum (BTN)