On March 24, 2021, the 1st ever Joint Naval Patrol took place between the navies of India & Madagascar at Madagascar’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). They also conducted a Passage Exercise (PASSEX).
Objective – To ensure maritime security in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
- From the Indian side INS Shardul, an amphibious warfare vessel participated in the Defence Exercise;From Madagascar’s side, Malagasy Naval Ship ‘Trozona’ took part.
- With this, India is seeking to expand its defence footprints in Western Indian Ocean.
- The exercise reflects the growing defence ties between the two countries.
- INS Shardul arrived at the port of Antsiranana, Madagascar on March 21, 2021 for Overseas Deployment of a training squadron headed by Captain Aftab Ahmed Khan.
India & Bangladesh conduct PASSEX
On March 11, 2021, The PASSEX exercise between India & Bangladesh was conducted at the end of the 3-day visit by Indian Navy vessels to the Mongla port in Bangladesh.
- It is the 1st time that any Indian Naval Ship visited the port of Mongla in Bangladesh.
- Objective – To enhance interoperability & maritime cooperation
- The visit by Indian vessels was part of the 50th anniversary celebrations of Bangladesh’s Independence.
- India – Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) INS Sumedha & INS Kulish
- Bangladesh – BNS Ali Haider & OPV BNS Karatoa
Swarnim Vijay Varsh
India is currently celebrating ‘Swarnim Vijay Varsh’ – the Golden Jubilee (50th Year) of its victory over Pakistan in the 1971 war which led to the creation of Bangladesh.
Recent Related News:
i.December 7, 2020, On the occasion of Indian Navy Day, a two-day long PASSEX 2020 between Russian Federation Navy (RuFN) and Indian Navy (IN) was held from 4 to 5 December 2020 in the Eastern Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
President – Andry Rajoelina
Capital – Antananarivo
Currency – Malagasy Ariary (MGA)
Prime Minister – Sheikh Hasina
Capital – Dhaka
Currency – Bangladeshi Taka