India, Italy & Japan launched a Trilateral partnership to establish stability and a govern-based global order based on approval of all in the Indo-Pacific region. Experts from the 3 nations discussed various things like security issues, collaboration with third world countries, multilateralism and the socio-economic dimension.
- The Trilateral was inaugurated through a virtual meeting between the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), the Embassies of Italy in Tokyo and New Delhi and the Japanese foreign ministry besides ambassadors of the three countries’ key stakeholders.
- The partnership was inaugurated by ambassadors of Italy in Japan and India, Mr. Giorgio Starace and Mr. Vincenzo de Luca respectively.
- It is India’s 2nd Trilateral partnership with an European power. The first one being the India, France & Australia Trilateral signed in 2020.
i.India’s vision on Indo-Pacific region stands for an open, balanced, rules-based and stable trade environment,which promotes trade and investment.
ii.India also mentioned the equal access for all to the use of common spaces on sea and in air, mandating freedom of navigation, overflight, unrestricted trade and peaceful settlement of disputes in accordance with international law
India with Italy & Japan :-
- The focus areas of the European strategy are similar to India’s own vision of the Indo-Pacific.
- India encouraged Italy to give support to India-centric EU Strategy for Cooperation in the Indo-Pacific.Italy holds the G20 Presidency for the year 2021.
- India and Japan also shared their cooperation in the Indo-Pacific for a peaceful, open, equitable, stable and rule-based order in the Indo-Pacific region and a commitment to work for its peace, stability, security and development.
India & Trilateral mechanisms
In September 20020, India-France-Australia launched a trilateral mechanism. Under the mechanism a foreign Ministerial level meet was hosted in 2021.
i.India & Japan are already part of 2 Trilateral mechanisms for the Indo-Pacific region – India-Japan-USA and India-Japan-Australia.
ii.India, Australia & Indonesia are also part of a Trilateral mechanism.
iii.Apart from this, India-Japan-Russia have launched a Track two level trilateral mechanism for the Indo-Pacific region with focus on Russian Far-East.
Recent Related News:
On September 9, 2020, the first trilateral dialogue between foreign secretaries from India, France and Australia was held virtually to ensure a peaceful, secure, prosperous and rules-based Indo-Pacific Region.
Prime Minister – Mario Draghi
Capital – Rome
Currency – Euro
Capital – Tokyo
Currency – Japanese yen
Prime Minister – Yoshihide Suga