Manila-headquartered Asian Development Bank(ADB) inked USD 300 million loan pact with the government to support National Urban Health Mission(NUHM).
This is the ADB’s first loan project in India under NUHM to develop health systems in urban areas that can deliver quality health services that reach the urban poor and vulnerable.
This program is aimed at achieving good result in key sectors like urban health,urban local bodies in planning and delivery of urban health services.
- Considering the health concerns of the urban poor population,health ministry launched a National Health Mission with two sub-missions NHM and a new sub-mission National Urban Health Mission(NUHM)
- NHM will work as a apex body for NUHM.
- Every Municipal Corporation ,Municipality ,Notified Area Committee and town Panchayat will become a unit of planning with its own approved broad norms for setting up of health facilities.
- The existing structures and mechanisms of governance under NHM will be suitably adapted to fulfill the needs of sub-mission NUHM also.
ABOUT ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK(ADB):
- ADB’s president is Takehiko Nakao
- Established on 22nd August 1966 which is headquartered in Manila,Philippines.
- At the time of its establishment it has 31 members at present it is having 67 members of which 48 are from within Asia and the pacific and remaining 19 are from outside.
- Japan holds largest proportion of share in ADB ,India holds 6.36%.
- Motto of ADB is “Fighting poverty in Asia and the Pacific