At 22nd Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) Annual Award Function in New Delhi on June 12, 2017, Commerce Secretary Mrs Rita Teaotia, mentioned that India has emerged as 7th largest exporter of agri-products globally.
Overview of Agri-products exports from India:
Total merchandise exports during 2016-17 stood at $276.28 billion out of which agri exports comprised of $33.38 billion, representing 08% of the total exports.
- Exports of food products from India surged significantly during this period.
- As highlighted by APEDA, exports of food products stood at $16.28 billion representing 48.77% of Agri exports from the country.
- Vietnam, UAE, Saudi Arabia, USA, Iran, Iraq and Nepal are the major destinations for export of food products from India.
About Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA):
APEDA is an apex body under Union Ministry of Commerce entrusted with the role to promote the export of agricultural commodities and processed food products.
- It links Indian exporters to global markets and also provides comprehensive export oriented services.
- APEDA provides referral services and suggests suitable partners for joint ventures.
- Ethnic Indian products like pickles, chutneys, sauces, curries etc. as well as rice, honey, fresh and processed fruits and vegetables, beverages, guar gum, poultry, livestock products, confectionery, cut flowers, food grains, aromatic plants and other Indian delicacies comprises APEDA’s export basket.
22nd APEDA Awards:
APEDA presented 82 awards to Indian Agro and Processed Food exporters for distinguished export services during years 2014-15 and 2015-16.
- The awards were presented in three categories viz. Diamond (2 awards), Gold (33 awards) Silver (29 awards) and Bronze (18 awards).