India has been elected by acclamation (a form of election that does not use a ballot) to 3 bodies of the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). It has been elected to the 3 bodies for a 3-year term beginning January 1, 2022.
- Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ)
- Executive Board of the UN Entity for Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women (UN Women)
- Executive Board of the World Food Programme (WFP)
Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ)
Established in 1992, it is the principal policy-making body of the UN in the field of crime prevention and criminal justice.
- Along with India, Austria, Bahrain, Belarus, Bulgaria, Canada, France, Ghana, Libya, Pakistan, Qatar, Thailand, Togo and the US were selected by Acclamation.
- Brazil, Dominican Republic, Paraguay, Chile, Cuba were elected by Secret Ballot.
- Chair (at the 30th session) – Alessandro Cortese of Italy | Headquarters – Vienna, Austria.
Executive Board of the UN Entity for Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women (UN Women)
- It became operational in 2011, it is a United Nations entity working for the empowerment of women.
- Along with India, Afghanistan, Australia, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Egypt, Gambia, Guyana, Kenya, Monaco, Poland, South Africa, Thailand, Turkmenistan and Ukraine were elected through acclamation to the UN body.
- Executive Director – Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka | Headquarters – New York, USA.
Executive Board of the World Food Programme (WFP)
- Established in 1961, WFP is the food assistance branch of the United Nations.
- It won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2020 for its efforts to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict.
- Along with India, France, Ghana, The Republic of Korea (South Korea), Russia and Sweden were elected to the Executive Board of WFP.
- Executive Director – David Beasley | Headquarters – Rome, Italy.
Recent Related News:
i.January 8, 2021, India to head 3 Important Committees of United Nations Security Council (UNSC) – Counter-Terrorism Committee (for 2022), Taliban Sanctions Committee (also called the 1988 Sanctions Committee) & Libya Sanctions Committee.
About UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
President – Munir Akram
Headquarters – New York, USA