India defeated England by 75 runs to clinch the Twenty20 International series 2-1 on February 1, 2017 played at M.Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru. England lost their last 8 wickets for 8 runs.
- This is India’s first win in a bilateral T20 International series against England.
- Though India Lost to England by 7 wickets in the first T20 match at Green Park, Kanpur, it won the second match played at Vidarbha Cricket Association Ground, Nagpur with 5 runs to get the series under its arm.
- 23-year-old Yuzvender Chahal was named the man of the series for taking eight wickets and giving away only 85 runs.
- Besides he was also named as the man of the match for his six wickets for 25 runs. This is the second best bowling in T20 international matches.
- Prior to him, Sri Lankan player Ajantha Mendis was the only bowler who achieved the feat twice with figures of 6-8 and 6-16 in T20.
- On September 18, 2012, he claimed a world record figure of 6 wickets for 8 runs for Sri Lanka against Zimbabwe
- With this, Yuzvender Chahal has also became the first Indian bowler to record a five-wicket haul in the history of Indian cricket.
- Player of the Series: Jasprit Bumrah
- India earlier won Test (4-0) and ODI (2-1) series against England. With the winning of all three categories, Team India under the captaincy of Virat Kohli may prove to be an excellent team in the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy 2017.
Rishabh Pant Becomes India’s youngest T20I Debutant
19-year-old Rishabh Pant was inducted into the Indian Team to play against England in the T20 International at the Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru on February 1, 2017. He replaced Manish Pandey.
- The left hand batsman from Delhi has become the youngest player to make debut in the format at 19 years and 120 days, surpassing Ishant Sharma who made his debut at 19 years and 152 days.
- Besides, he is the 38th teenager to make debut for India as well as 5th in the last decade. Before him, Jaydev Unadkat made debut appearance for India.
- Pant was selected based upon his performance in the Ranji Trophy season where he made 972 runs in 8 matches for Delhi including triple century against Maharashtra at the Wankhede Stadium.
- He also broke the record to make the fastest century in Ranji Trophy.