On 26th January 2019,India Celebrated its 70th Republic Day.This Day honour the date on which the Constitution of India came into effect on 26th January 1950 replacing the Government of India Act (1935) as the governing document of India.On this Occasion,President Ram Nath Kovind Unfurled the Flag with 21 gun Shots in the Background.
South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa,Chief Guest:
South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa,was the Chief Guest of the 70th Republic Day. This is the second time,South African President is Chief Guest for Republic Day,the first such occasion was held in 1995 when the late Nelson Mandela visited India as the Chief Guest for the Republic day.
Last year,10 ASEAN leaders was the Chief Guest of India’s Republic Day.They addressed the Republic day celebration,after attending India-ASEAN Commemorative Summit.
President Ram Nath Kovind confers Ashoka Chakra on Nazir Wani
On 70th Republic Day,President Ram Nath Kovind Conferred Ashok Chakra, India’s highest peacetime gallantry honour to militant-turned-soldier,Lance Naik Nazir Ahmad Wani.
- Wani, hails from Cheki Ashmuji in Kulgam district of Jammu and Kashmir, who lost his life in a counter-terror operation against six terrorists in Hirapur village near Batgund in Shopian.
- Wani was a recipient of the Sena Medal for gallantry twice in 2007 and 2018.
Event Happened for the First time in Republic Day:
- Four Indian National Army (INA) veterans(Parmanand, Lalti Ram, Hira Singh and Bhagmal),all Aged above 90 took part in the Republic Day parade for the First time,under the theme ‘Veterans: Accelerators in Nation’s Growth’.
- First time in history,‘Nari Shakti’ was displayed as the Assam Rifles tableau had all women contingent, led by Maj.Khushboo Kanwar, marched to the tune Assam Rifles kay Sipahi, Desh ki Humnay Shaan badhai.
- Lt Kasturi becomes 1st woman,who led a contingent of the India Army Service Corps.
- Capt Shikha Surabhi from the Corps of Signals became the first woman to perform bike stunts, alongside her male teammates as part of daredevils.
- For First Time,IAF Flies Plane Using Blend Of Jet Fuel And Biofuel During Republic Day Parade.
Other Events Took Part in Republic Day:
- 2019 celebration will be special as this year will mark the 150th birth anniversary of ‘Father of the Nation’. Around 17 tableaux from states/Union Territories and 6 from various ministries will be displayed in the parade based on the theme ‘Gandhi’.
- American howitzers M777, the Main Battle Tank (MBT) T-90 and indigenously developed Akash weapons system was displayed.
- Indian Railways presents Republic Day Tableau depicting the theme of “Mohan se Mahatma”.
- IAF will march on the tune of astronaut in the parade at Rajpath and the theme for the IAF tableau this year will be ‘Indian Air Force: Safeguarding Indian Skies’.
- The CISF, which is also celebrating 50 years of service to the nation, is in the Republic Day parade after a gap of 11 years.
- CPWD has been participating in Republic Day and displayed flower tableaux under the theme “Dandi March” Movement with title “VANDE MATARAM”.
- Twenty-six children – six girls and 20 boys awardees of Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puruskar for their exceptional achievement also graced the occasion.
- ‘RDP INDIA 2019’-a mobile application was launched by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman which can help,People to watch the highlights of this year’s Republic Day parade.
- From 1946,January 26 is celebrated as Australia Day in Australia
Five day long ‘Bharat Parv’ begins at Red Fort, New Delhi
On 26th January 2019, 4th edition of ‘Bharat Parv’ event showcasing the spirit of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat was inaugurated in Red Fort,NewDelhi.It will concluded on 31st January,2019.
- Statue of Unity was replicatd in Bharat Parv and Paintings on the theme of ‘Ideology of Mahatma Gandhi’ are created.
- Republic Day parade tableaux, performances by the Armed Forces bands and photo exhibition are displayed.
Awards Presented on Republic Day:
- Bikas Das (20) and Surya Das (22) honoured for averting train accident by Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) in Guwahati.They will receive a citation and award money of Rs 2,500 each.
- Distinguished Service and Gallantry Awards to IAF Personnel were conferred.Click here to read the winners
- 411 Gallantry and other Defence decorations to Armed Forces personnel were conferred.Click here to read the winners
- President of India has awarded President’sTatrakshak Medal (PTM) and Tatrakshak Medal (TM) to Indian Coast Guard personnel.Click here to read the winners
- President Conferred Vayu Sena Medal (gallantry) to Sergeant Amit Kumar Jha for his act of exceptional courage and bravery in the face the life threatening situation and saving the lives of 10 fishermen.Click here to read more
- President Confers vayu Sena Medal (Gallantry) to Wing commander Bhavanendran Nair Prasanth,Click here to read more.