On January 27, 2018, India and Cambodia inked following four pacts, post comprehensive talks between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Visiting Cambodian Prime Minister, Samdech Hun Sen.
Pact for Cultural Exchange Programme:
India signed a pact for Cultural Exchange Programme with Cambodia for the year 2018-2022.
- The Cultural Exchange Programme seeks to promote cultural exchange and strengthen the friendly relations between India and Cambodia during the specified period.
- This pact was exchanged between Dr. Mahesh Sharma – Minister of State (Independent Charge), Ministry of Culture, Government of India and Mrs. PHOEURNG Sackona – Minister of Culture and Fine Arts, Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
Credit Line Agreement between the EXIM Bank of India and the Government of Cambodia:
Under this agreement, Export-Import Bank of India will extend $36.92 million Line of Credit to finance the Stung Sva Hab Water Resource Development Project in Cambodia.
- This agreement was exchanged between Ms. Preeti Saran – Secretary (East), Union Ministry of External Affairs and Mr. PHAN Phalla – Under-Secretary of State, Ministry of Economy and Finance, Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
Agreement on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters:
Objective of this agreement is to enhance India’s and Cambodia’s effectiveness in prevention, investigation and prosecution of crimes through cooperation and legal assistance in criminal matters.
- This agreement was exchanged between Ms. Preeti Saran – Secretary (East) Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and Mr. SIENG Lapresse Adviser of the Government in Charge of Transnational Crime, Ministry of Interior (MLAT), Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Cooperation for Prevention of Human Trafficking:
Under this MoU, India and Cambodia will cooperate on the issues of prevention, rescue and repatriation related to human trafficking.
- This agreement was exchanged between Ms. Preeti Saran – Secretary (East) Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and Mrs. CHOU Bun Eng Secretary of State, Ministry of Interior (Human Trafficking) Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
Quick Facts about Cambodia:
- Capital – Phnom Penh
- Currency – Riel
- Current Prime Minister – Hun Sen
- Important Rivers – Srepok, Tonle San