India and energy-rich Qatar signed six important agreements.
- One MoU will provide one on transfer of sentenced prisoners as the two countries sought to inject a fresh momentum in their bilateral ties.
- The other five MoUs will provide for cooperation in areas like information and communication technology, atmospheric and ocean sciences and media.
- The MoU in the field of information and communication technology would provide enhanced business opportunities for Indian IT industry in Qatar.
- Another MoU was signed between Ministry of Earth Sciences and Qatar Meteorological Department for cooperation in the field of of atmospheric and ocean sciences.
- The pacts were signed after Emir of Qatar Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani held deep discussion with Prime Minister Narendra Modi during which both the leaders discussed a lot of issues including enhancing cooperation in energy sector and boosting trade and investment.
- According to official figure, 96 Indians are currently languishing in various jails in Qatar which is home to around 600,000 Indians.
- A separate MoU was inked between Diplomatic Institute of Qatar’s Foreign Ministry and Foreign Service Institute of External Affairs Ministry to facilitate exchange of faculty members and experts.
- The two sides also finalised a pact to encourage regular exchange of radio and TV programmes and content between Prasar Bharati and Qatar Media Cooperation.
- Qatar supplies 86 per cent of India’s Liquified Natural Gas (LNG).
- The bilateral annual trade is around USD 16 billion.
- Qatar has embarked on an ambitious programme for overall development as part of its Qatar 2030 vision and has created a dedicated Ministry of Information and Communication Technology for capacity building in ICT.