Prime Minister Narendra Modi met Kyrgyzstani President Almazbek Atambayev in Bishkek, the capital of Kyrgyzstan signed four agreements including one on bolstering defence cooperation and holding annual joint military exercises.
The agreements signed are:
1. Agreement on Defence Cooperation
To deepen cooperation between India and Kyrgyzstan in matters relating to defence, security, military education and training, conduct of joint military exercises, exchange of experience and information, exchange of military instructors and observers etc.
2. Memorandum of Mutual Understanding and Cooperation in the field of Elections
To deepen cooperation in matters relating to legislation on elections and referendums, modern systems and technologies, rights of elections process stakeholders as well as other issues of election administration.
3. MoU between Ministry of Economy of Kyrgyzstan and Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) on cooperation in the sphere of Standards –
This MoU will strengthen and enhance technical cooperation in the fields of standardization, conformity assessment and sharing of expertise on mutual trade with the aim of exchanging necessary information and expertise between the two parties, which would be mutually beneficial and also lead to a strengthening of bilateral ties between India and Kyrgyz Republic.
4. Agreement on Cooperation in Culture –
To deepen cultural cooperation between India and Kyrgyzstan in areas such as preservation of cultural heritage, organisation of folk arts, theatre, youth festivals and cooperation in of publishing and translation of literature, sports and physical culture, exchange of archival materials, history, geography etc.
- Kyrgyzstan is a landlocked central Asian country and located along the Silk Road, the ancient trade route between China and the Mediterranean.
- Capital: Bishkek
- President: Almazbek Atambayev
- Prime minister: Temir Sariyev
- Currency : Kyrgyzstani som