According to the ‘2020 World Air Quality Report’ released by IQAir (Swiss Air Technology Company), India was the 3rd Most Polluted Country in the World in 2020 after Bangladesh & Pakistan. Delhi was the most polluted Capital City for the 3rd consecutive time it was followed by Dhaka (Bangladesh) & Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia).
- In the case of World’s most polluted cities, Hotan of China came first followed by India’s Ghaziabad (Uttar Pradesh) & Bulandshahr (Uttar Pradesh).
- The rankings are based on annual average PM 2.5 (Particulate Matter) of the year 2020. It covered 106 Countries.
Most Polluted Countries in 2020
South & East Asia – Major Point of Air Pollution
- According to the report, South and East Asian countries continue to be the most polluted locations in the world.
- 37 out of 40 most polluted cities in 2020 are in South Asia.
- Only 1.6% of cities in South Asia met WHO’s (World Health Organization) PM 2.5 target in 2020.
- Air pollution causes a loss of 7.4% of South Asia’s GDP.
Global Air Pollution
- In 2020, 84% of all monitored countries observed air quality improvements.
- Bangladesh, China (11th in most polluted), India, and Pakistan contributed 49 out of 50 most polluted cities worldwide.
- Least Polluted Countries – Puerto Rico, New Caledonia & U.S. Virgin Islands
- India was home to 35 of World’s 50 most polluted cities
- Compared to 2019 levels, India recorded an 11% reduction in annual average of PM 2.5 levels due to Coronavirus lockdown.
- Major sources of India’s air pollution – Transportation, stubble burning, construction.
Socio-Economic Impact of Air Pollution
- Air Pollution is estimated to cost the global economy around 2.9 Trillion per year (equal to 3.3% of Global GDP).
- Air Pollution remains the cause of 7 million premature deaths annually.
Recent Related News:
i.December 1, 2020, According to Air Pollution Data released by United States (US) Air Quality Index 2020 on November 30, 2020 Lahore, Pakistan topped the list of World’s most Polluted Cities.
President – Frank Hammes
Headquarters – Goldach, Switzerland