In order to promote the empowerment of persons with disabilities, “Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan” aka “Inclusiveness and Accessibility Index” has been instigated by the Government of India in partnership with Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
- It was launched by Urban Development, Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation and Parliamentary Affairs, Shri M Venkaiah Naidu.
- This index would help the corporate sector in evaluating their policies for inclusion of the differently-abled.
How Accessibility Index Toolkit will work?
It aims at evaluating the present stage of inclusiveness and accessibility of persons with disabilities by an organisation.
- Acts as guide – It will also act as a guide for taking progressive steps to increase support and accessibility towards employees with disabilities.
- Size of organisation – It can be applied and used by any organisations irrespective of their size and scale.
- Basis – The toolkit is based on research.
Benefit of Index to Corporate Sector and public sector organisations:
- Reduce employee turnover, increase employee loyalty and increase morale and productivity of other employees in the organisation.
- Create a positive brand image.
- Expand customer base through new products and services.
- Enhance shareholder value.
- Promote human dignity where all citizens have equal access to opportunities to fully realise their potential.
As per data out of every 1 lakh people in the country, 1,755 persons are differently-abled.