UNESCO ( UNITED NATIONS EDUCATIONAL SCIENTIFIC and CULTURAL ORGANISATION ) has added five Indian cities in its list of tentative world heritage site.
These cities include
- Historic City of Ahmedabad,
- Delhi – A Heritage City,
- Jaipur City, Rajasthan,
- Ekamra Kshetra- The Temple City, Bhubaneswar and
- The Victorian & Art Deco Ensemble of Mumbai.
The information about the inclusion is given by Union Minister of state for Cultural and Tourism (Independent Charge) Dr. Mahesh Sharmain
- These sites are chosen based on the human creativity in these sites, developments in architecture or technology and town-planning or landscape design. Addition to this, cultural tradition are also kept as a criteria.
What is a WORLD HERITAGE SITE
World heritage site is decided based on the cultural and natural importance given by one country and it is recognized by the United Nations.
- Special attention is given to these places since it represents the importance of that
countries privilege among the other countries.
About 5 heritage cities in India
It is one of the district and former capital city in Gujarat. It is the sixth largest city and seventh largest metropolitan area of India located in banks of Sabarmati River.
- It is also been selected as one of the 100 cities to be developed as smart cities
- Chief minister : Vijay Rupani
- Governor : Om Prakash Kohli
It is the capital city of India and one among the seven union territories. Recently it has lost its status of wealthiest city in India to Mumbai.
- Recently it became one of the world’s best city to be a student among 100 cities around the world (86th) analyzed by QS rankings
- Chief minister: Aravind kejriwal
- Governor : Anjali Baijal
It is the capital city of Rajasthan state and also called PINK CITY of India. It is the largest city of rajasthan.
- Chief minister : Vasundra raje
- Governor : Kalian singh
It is the capital city of Odisha state and is the largest city of Odisha. It has been capital of Odisha since 1949 after Cuttack and is populary known as TEMPLE CITY of India
- Chief minister : Naveen patnaik
- Governor : S.C. Jamir
It is the capital city of Maharastra and ranked 1 among the wealthiest cities of India overtaking the nation’s capital Delhi. It is the most populous city of India. Recently it became one of the world’s best city to be a student among 100 cities around the world (85th) analyzed by QS rankings
- Chief minister : Devendra Fadnavis
- Governor : C.Vidyasagar Rao
UNESCO is one of the specialzed agencies of United Nations located in Paris and formed during 16 November 1945. It is the subsidy of League of Nations’ International Committee on Intellectual Cooperation.
- UNESCO has 195 member states and 9 associate members and it is the declaring body of world heritage sites.
- UNESCO is headed by Irina Bokova.
- UN Security Council also adopts Resolution Protecting Heritage sites.
Sites under heritage in India
There are totally 35 heritage sites in India which include 27 cultural, 7 natural and 1 mixed.
- Recently added are Khangchendzonga National Park, Sikkim Archaeological Site of Nalanda Mahavihara (Nalanda University) at Nalanda, BiharCapitol Building Complex – The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier in Chandigarh
- Apart from this tentative sites are also been added in the list in which these 5 cities are included