On March 1, 2021, Alok Kansal, General Manager, Western Railway inaugurated the newly commissioned Mobile Train Radio Communication (MTRC) system (also known as Global System for Mobile Communications – Railway (GSM-R)) at Divisional Railway Manager’s office in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It is the 1st time that MTRC has been commissioned in Indian Railways (IR).
- MTRC System is a TETRA (Terrestrial Trunked Radio) based Digital technology.
- It can help in preventing train accidents by ensuring an instant & constant interaction of train crew with the Control Centre and the Station Master.
- It will monitor, track (through GPS) & aid in communication between the trains & the control room and ensure smooth movement of rakes & in mitigation of adverse events.
Where has it been commissioned?
- The MTRC system has been commissioned in the 60 km suburban section between Churchgate-Virar section of Mumbai and installed in 90 out of 100 rakes running in the section.
- Technical and maintenance support of the new MTRC system will be provided by M/s. Consort Digital Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi for seven years with an estimated cost of Rs. 5.98 Crore.
- The 60-Km suburban section between Churchgate-Virar is a high-density-traffic route, trains run with a headway (interval) of approximately 3 minutes in peak hours.
- It transports around 3.4 Million passengers each day by operating over 1300 services.
- MTRC has been integrated with the existing Train Management System to enable controllers to communicate with Driver & Guard using Train number & cab number code.
- It also has a provision for broadcast calls which can be used in case of emergency.
- The Section controller can initiate Broadcast calls to all Motormen/Guards of train & passengers of the train.
- It takes the lowest time (i.e 300 milliseconds) to connect calls.
- Single Touch Dialing for calling any of the 2 section train controllers – Deputy Train Controller, EMU Controller.
- Motormen can directly communicate the defect of EMU-to-EMU Controller which will reduce detention of other trains.
- Overriding feature, whereby if an MTRC phone is busy on making emergency calls the feature can be used to establish communication.
Recent Related News:
i.On May 18, 2020 Indian Railways(IR) operationalised its 1st 12,000 hp electric made in India Locomotive, WAG12 from Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Station (Mughalsarai Junction), Uttar Pradesh to Shivpur.
About Indian Railways:
Chairman & CEO – Suneet Sharma
Headquarters – New Delhi