A Memorandum of Understanding or MoU has been signed between Indian Meteorological Department IMD and Power System Operation Corporation Ltd or POSCO for the optimum use of weather information and forecast in the power sector. The main objective of this MoU is to enable power operators,generators, and utilities to make total use of their supply and generation capacities with knowledge of weather conditions got from Indian Meteorological Department.
- Power system operators in India would use all weather details given by IMD for analysis and better power management.
- The current weather informations for identified stations and weather forecasts at different times would be provided by the IMD.
- Informations regarding temperatures,rainfall,windspeeds,humidity,direction of wind and other parameters would be provided by IMD
- IMD would also provide warnings regarding coldwave,heatwave,thunderstorms,fog,rainfall etc in different states for next 3days.
- State and region wise monthly and seasonal outlooks of weather conditions would also be provided.
- The MoU also defined that IMD and POSCO would share and give expert opinion in weather details and its effect on power distribution system.
- To encourage further studies and research, datas and inputs would also be exchanged as per the MoU .
- POSOCO would aim for economic assessment of impact of climate and weather information details given by IMD.
- Precise needs of energy sector would be met by this signing MoU.
- Regular feed mechanism would be put in place for the continued up-gradation of the services.
Indian Meteorological Department– facts and details
- IMD is an agency of Ministry of Earth Sciences of the Government of India.
- It was established in the year 1875.
- Headquarters is in New delhi.
- Its present Agency Executive isDr L.S Rathore, Director General.
- It has 6 regional meteorological centers located in Chennai,New Delhi,Mumbai,Kolkata,Nagpur and Guwahati.
POSOCO- some details
- It is a subsidiary of Power Grid Corporation of India.
- It was formed in March 2010, with headquarters in New Delhi.
- .Current Chairman isN. Nayak
- CEO isSushil kumar Sonee.