Indian Institute of Technology(IIT) Madras has signed Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with Rajasthan government to help the state to implement a structured framework for a data-driven systems approach to road safety.
- As per the MoU, Rehabilitation Bioengineering Group (RBG) Labs at IIT Madras will help the state to implement the Tamil Nadu Model of Road Safety.
Main Objective of the Partnership
i.To improve the road safety measures.
ii.To enhance capacity and capability across the board in the Government to increase survival rate of road accident victims and minimise occurrence rate in the state.
i.The MoU was signed by Shri Ravi Jain, Transport Commissioner, Rajasthan Govt and Prof Ravindra Gettu, Dean (Industrial Consultancy and Sponsored Research), IIT Madras
ii.This initiative is coordinated by Prof. Venkatesh Balasubramanian, Faculty In-Charge, RBG Labs, Department of Engineering Design, IIT Madras.
Various stakeholder Departments Involved in Collaboration
This partnership involves diverse stakeholder Departments in Rajasthan government who are involved in road safety including Public Works Department (PWD), National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), police, health and medical services, among other agencies.
Targeted Key Outcomes of the Collaboration
The following are the key outcomes that are targeted from this collaboration:
- Build capability of Rajasthan’s main road safety team
- Help create strategy and implementation work packages for stakeholder departments to accomplish safety roads in Rajasthan.
- Create a road map to reach the Sustainable Development Goal(SDG) goal of reducing 50% road fatalities by 2030 and ultimately to achieve zero deaths from road traffic accidents.
- Help develop data driven trauma care with institutional registry developed by IIT Madras.
Recent Related News:
In a bid to enhance road safety i.e. eliminate road accidents and create safe mobility for commuters, Kailash Gahlot, Delhi Transport Minister signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Bloomberg Philanthropies.
About Indian Institute of Technology(IIT) Madras:
Director– Bhaskar Ramamurthi
Lake– Anand Sagar Lake, Anasagar Lake, Balsamand Lake, Diablab Lake, Doodh Talai Lake
Dam– Rana Pratap Sagar(Chambal River), Panchana Dam(Gambhir River), Meja Dam (Bhilwara), Bhimsagar Dam(Jhalawar), Jawahar Sagar Dam(Kota)