On May 28, 2021, Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) announced that, it is setting up the Digital Publishers Content Grievances Council (DPCGC).It will help to address the unresolved consumer grievances.
Objective – It will help ensure compliance with the latest guidelines for Over-The-Top (OTT) players.
- On February 25, 2021, Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules, 2021 was framed & it came into effect on May 26, 2021.
- It mandates a grievance redressal system for over the top (OTT) and digital portals in the country.
i.DPCGC will be established as the level-II self-regulatory body for publishers of Online Curated Content (OCC) as required under Rule 12, with the intent to empower consumers to make informed viewing choices.
ii.It will have an Online Curated Content Publishers (OCCP) Council composed of publishers of OCC as members and an independent Grievance Redressal Board (GRB) — consisting of a chairperson and six members.
iii.Under the new rules, OTT platforms have to self-classify the content into five age-based categories – U (Universal), U/A 7+ (years), U/A 13+, U/A 16+, and A (Adult). In the past, many of these platforms have drawn flak for content that contains obscenity, and have at times hurt religious sentiments.
iv.These platforms are required to implement parental locks for content classified as U/A 13+ or higher, and reliable age-verification mechanisms for content classified as ‘A’.
v.Alt Balaji, Amazon Prime Video, Arha Media, Firework, Hoichoi, Hungama, Lionsgate Play, MX Player, Netflix, and Shemaroo confirmed that, they will become the members of the DPCGC once formed.
IBF Forms DMCRC; Justice Vikramjit Sen to be Chairman
Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF) has newly formed, 7 member self-regulatory body Digital Media Content Regulatory Council (DMCRC).The Council is Chaired by the former Supreme Court judge Justice Vikramjit Sen.
- DMCRC for digital OTT platforms is a second-tier mechanism at the appellate level, similar to broadcast content complaint council (BCCC)
Note – IBF is set to be renamed as Indian Broadcasting and Digital Foundation (IBDF).IBF is the apex body of broadcasters and OTT operators.
Other Members of the Council:
- Nikkhil Advani (Filmmaker),
- Tigmanshu Dhulia (Writer and director),
- Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari (Filmmaker and writer),
- Deepak Dhar (Content producer and distributor Banijay Group CEO and founder),
- Ashok Nambisan (Sony Pictures General Counsel) and
- Mihir Rale (Star and Disney India Chief Regional Counsel).
i.According to a The PwC Global Entertainment & Media Outlook 2020-2024, the Indian Media & Industry sector is expected to grow at a 10.1 per cent compound annual growth rate to reach USD 55 billion by 2024.
ii.In terms of individual segment market size as a percentage of total industry revenue, OTT video is expected to see the largest gain and reach 5.2 per cent by 2024.
About Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI):
President – Dr. Subho Ray
Headquarter – Mumbai, Maharashtra
About Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF):
President – Mr. K. Madhavan
Headquarter – New Delhi