On January 28, 2020, The final report of the Committee on Indian Academy of Highway Engineers (IAHE) headed by Yudhvir Singh Malik has been submitted to the Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shri Nitin Gadkari. The report stresses to improve the present training infrastructure, content, training methodology & to create linkages with world-famous international institutes and undertake applied research & related works.
i.Other recommendations are as follows,
- The panel recommends to expand the purview of IAHE by including 3 different functions i.e. (i) Training, (ii) Applied Research and Development in the National Highways- NH (including field trials to promote the use of waste materials, textiles, plastic, recycling in NH construction) and Public Transport Sector, and (iii) Road Safety and Regulation.
- It Proposed to provide an One-year foundation training to AEEs of Ministry and Deputy Managers of NHAI at a time including foreign training of 15 days period. Only the Successful completion of foundation training valid for continuation in service.
- It also recommended the Successful completion of mid-career training mandatory for promotion to the next higher level & Exclusive training programme for engineers, who are working with contractors and consultants.
- IAHE should provide customer friendly training courses to the State PWD (Public Works Department) officers for State Highways, MDRs and Rural Roads.
- It recommends IAHE to start training programmes for quality control, assistant quality control engineers of consultants and contractors on material testing processes to cooperate forefront foreign organization on areas such as tunnelling, multi level crossings, etc.
- It asked IAHE to create a Centre of excellence for traffic modelling and simulation & also mandated to work as a think tank of Ministry.
- It also mandated to upgrade existing IAHE laboratory as well as the certification from NABL to undertake all third party testing of materials used on NH projects.
- It proposed to store the all road related data such as traffic, inventory & condition of road and bridges, etc. in IAHE platform & also asked IAHE to prepare SOP for management of accidents & establish a centre of traffic engineering, data section and accident analysis for road safety.
ii.Ministry of Road Transport and Highways had constituted a Committee consisting of Shri YS Malik, Former Secretary, MoRT&H (Chairman) & other members including Shri BN Singh, Former DG(RD)&SS, MoRT&H (Member), Shri MP Sharma, Former ADG, MoRT&H (Member) and Shri SP Singh, Joint Secretary, MoRT&H (Member Secretary) to identify key issues and recommend methods for transforming IAHE into a world – class premier institute on highway sector.
It was created by Ministry for Road Transport & Highways in 1983.
It is located in Noida ,Uttar Pradesh(UP).