On October 21 and 22, 2019 the Indian Air Force(IAF) has successfully test fired 2 Brahmos surface to surface missile from mobile platform at Trak Island of the Andaman Nicobar Islands. The test firing was a part of routine operational training.
i.Both the missiles, 2.5 tonnes each, directly hit the mock target close to 300kms away. The ground targets were engaged with accuracy from mobile platform.
ii.In 2010, BrahMos created a new world record by becoming the first cruise missile to be tested at supersonic speeds in a steep-dive mode.
- Brahmos is a medium-range ramjet supersonic cruise missile that can be launched from submarine, ships, aircraft, or land. It is the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile.
- It is produced by Brahmos aerospace which is a joint venture between India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Russia’s NPOM (NPO Mashinostroyeniya).
- The name Brahmos was coined from Brahmaputra river of India and Russia’s Moskva river.
- Founded– 8 October 1932.
- Headquarters- New Delhi.
- Motto- Nabhaḥ Spr̥śaṁ Dīptam (Touch the sky with glory).
- Chief of the Air Staff (CAS)- Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria.