Hyderabad based Dr P Raghu Ram, President of Association of Breast Surgeons of India (ABSI) has been honored with the prestigious Dr B C Roy National Award for ‘outstanding service in the field of socio medical relief’ for the year 2016.
- The award will be conferred upon Ram by President Pranab Mukherjee on July 1, 2017 which is also observed as National Doctors Day.
- Dr Ram was honored for his significant contribution towards improving the delivery of breast health care in India and creating the much needed awareness about importance of early detection of breast cancer in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh through a number of initiatives.
- He is the youngest surgeon ever from Telangana and Andhra Pradesh to have been selected for the award.
- Apart from ABSI, Dr. Ram is also the Director of Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS) and CEO of Ushalakshmi Breast Cancer Foundation.
About Dr P Raghu Ram
Raghu Ram Pillarisetti is an Indian oncoplastic breast surgeon who was born on 22 September 1966 in Guntur in the undivided Andhra Pradesh.
- He graduated in medicine (MBBS) Siddhartha Medical College, secured a master’s degree in surgery (MS) with gold medal from Kasturba Medical College, Manipal in 1995 and migrated to UK to work at The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust Hospital.
- He opened a dedicated purpose built facility for breast cancer care in India under the name, Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS), in Hyderabad in 2007
- Raghu Ram Pillarisetti is the youngest recipient of the Overseas Gold Medal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
- He is also the founder of Pink Connexion, the first quarterly newsletter from India about breast healthcare.
- The Government of India honoured him in 2015 with the award of Padma Shri, the fourth highest Indian civilian award.
About B C Roy National Award
Bidhan Chandra Roy Award instituted in 1976 in memory of B. C. Roy by Medical Council of India is the highest recognition for medical practitioners in India.
- The Award is given annually in each of the following categories: Statesmanship of the Highest Order in India, Medical man-cum-Statesman, Eminent Medical Person, Eminent person in Philosophy, Eminent person in Science and Eminent person in Arts.
- It is presented by President of India in New Delhi on July 1, National Doctors’ Day.