The IBPS PO notification 2018 was released sometime back and the prelims exam is scheduled to be held on 13th, 14th, 20th and 21st Oct 2018. For your assistance, today we bring to you tips on how to prepare for IBPS PO 2018 prelims. This post is brought to you by Oliveboard.
How to prepare for IBPS PO 2018 – English Language
The key to successfully clearing the English section is having strong basics. Get a hold over the entire IBPS PO English syllabus and have clear concepts.
- Grammar: It forms the basis of important question types such as: sentence re-arrangement,idioms & phrases, error spotting, sentence correction etc asked in the English section. So, build on your grammar. Make notes of important grammar rules that you can refer to during IBPS PO preparation and during revision.
- Reading Comprehension: Strictly stick to what is given in the passage and assume nothing else. Do not make any assumptions whatsoever. It is essential to balance speed and accuracy to score well in any competitive exam. The best way in which you can gauge this is via practicing multiple mock tests.
- Vocabulary: It is tested both directly and indirectly in the exam.There might be difficult words in the passage that may make it difficult for you to understand what is being talked about (indirect testing of vocabulary). On the other hand, there might be direct questions on synonyms, antonyms.
English Books for IBPS PO 2018
- Wren & Martin
- Word Power Made Simple- Norman Lewis
How to prepare for IBPS PO 2018 – Quantitative Aptitude
While it is important to learn all the concepts across all the topics of IBPS PO Prelims Quantitative Aptitude, it is equally important to learn them in an order. Most quant topics are interdependent, meaning, you need to know concepts of one topic to understand or solve another.
- Start with Basics: Brush up you high school math concepts using NCERT textbooks (8th to 10th grade).
- Improve your Calculation Speed: Learn tables up to 20 and square roots up to 30 and cube roots up to 20. Also, follow and practice theone-liner approach for quicker addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Mock Tests: Practice tests including questions of varying difficulty levels to prepare you for any kind of question in the exam. Also, always analyse your mock attempt, identify the weak areas and fix them.
Quant Books for IBPS PO 2018
- Fast Track Objective Arithmetic by Rajesh Verma
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by R.S. Agarwal
How to prepare for IBPS PO 2018 – Reasoning
The Reasoning section tests your problem-solving, decision-making skills and logical abilities. It takes months and constant and consistent practice to master these skills and it is not something you can achieve in a short time. Therefore, start spending some time solving puzzles online, like Sudoku, Crossword puzzles, Mind bender puzzles, etc. These will sharpen your skills and train your brain to think logically.
- Build Concepts: Once your fundamentals are in place, start watchingreasoning video lessons that breakdown every reasoning topic to the basic level. Learn the concepts using video lessons or reasoning preparation books.
- Practice Questions: After learning each reasoning topic, take asectional test for that topic to measure your progress. Continue learning and practicing till you’re thorough in that concept and then move on to the next one.
Reasoning questions can be lengthy and time-consuming. Always remember, you don’t have to answer all the questions. We suggest you first glance through the question and decide if you want to solve it or not. If you’re finding it difficult to solve a question, mark it for review and get back to it later. Do not spend too much time being stuck on the same question.
Reasoning Books for IBPS PO 2018
- Magical Book on Puzzles by K. Kundan
- Analytical Reasoning by M.K. Pandey
- Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning by R.S. Aggarwal
Get started with your exam preparation for IBPS PO exam 2018 with Oliveboard’s Mock Test Series.