Union Home Minister Shri Raj Nath Singh visited Bangladesh on a 3 day visit from July 13-15,2018.
The largest Indain visa centre inaugurated in Bangladesh
On July 14, 2018, Union Home minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the largest Indian visa centre in the world in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- This was inaugurated in the presence of Home Minister of Bangladesh Asaduzzaman Khan.
- The Indian Visa Application Centre (IVAC) covers 18,500 sq ft. commercial area at Jamuna Future Park in Dhaka.
- This will replace the existing centres in Dhaka in two phases and would help in reducing waiting time for applicants.
- He presented a five-year multiple-entry tourist visa to a Bangladeshi national.
- He also announced the withdrawal of the existing e-token appointment system for submission of visa applications.
Bangladesh has one of the largest number of visitors from a single country to India. In 2017, 1.4 million visas were issued.
Home Minister inaugurate the Bangladesh-India Friendship Building at the Bangladesh Police Academy, Sardah
On July 14,2018, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh along with Home Minister of Bangladesh, Mr. Asaduzzaman Khan inauguratedBangladesh-India Friendship Building at the Bangladesh Police Academy, Sardah in Rajshahi, Western Bangladesh.
- Foundation stone of this project was laid by the PM Shri Narendra Modi and the PM of Bangladesh, Ms. Sheikh Hasina in 2015.
- It is a development cooperation project between India and Bangladesh.
- It has Forensic Laboratories, Mock Crime Scenes, Mock Police Station, IT Centre with computer labs etc.
Other announcements in Rajshahi:
- An MoC was also signed between Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy, Hyderabad and the Bangladesh Police Academy, Sardah, Rajshahi for mutual cooperation in training, management and exchange of trainers and trainees between two Police Academies.
- An MoC was signed by Smt. D R Doley Barman, Director, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy, Hyderabad and Mr. Md. Nazibur Rahman, Addl (IGP), Principal, Bangladesh Police Academy for capacity building programmes being organized in India for Bangladesh officials.
Mr Singh co-chaired the 6th meeting of the India-Bangladesh Home Minister Level Talks which is held in Dhaka
On July 15,2018, The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh co-chaired the 6th meeting of the Home Minister level talks with his Bangladesh counterpart, Mr. Asaduzzaman Khan in Dhaka.
- Focus areas of the meeting was : counter-terrorism, capacity building and increased cooperation between security agencies, border management, countering illegal activities like fake currency, drug and human trafficking, consular issues etc.
- Signing of the Revised Travel Arrangement 2018 (RTA 2018) amending the earlier RTA 2013 took place to liberalize visa between the two countries especially employment and student visas.
- Also under RTA 2018, freedom fighters and elderly Bangladeshi nationals will get 5 year multiple visa from India.
On July 15,2018, his last day of the visit he visited:
- Bangabandhu Museum in Dhanmondi, Dhaka and payed homage to Bangladesh’s Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
- He also visited Dhakeshwari temple.
♦ Capital: Dhaka.
♦ Currency: Bangladeshi Taka.
♦ Prime Minister: Sheikh Hasina.
♦ President: Abdul Hamid.
♦ Military Exercise with India: SAMPRITI.