On 11th March 2022, Amit Shah, Union Minister of Home Affairs addressed the 37th Foundation Day(Raising Day) celebrations of the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) as the chief guest in New Delhi, Delhi. He is the first Union Home Minister to attend a Foundation Day function of the NCRB.
- He also inaugurated the 3rd Crime and Criminal Tracking & Network System (CCTNS) Hackathon & Cyber Challenge 2022 during the event.
- In 2020 the 35th Foundation day was observed on 12th March 2020.
- In 2021 the 36th Foundation day was observed on 11th March 2021.
History of NCRB:
i.NCRB was set up in 1986 based on the recommendations of the Tandon Committee, National Police Commission (1977-1981) and the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA)’s Task force (1985).
ii.NCRB was established through MHA Resolution dated 11th March 1986.
iii.It was established to function as a repository of information on crime and criminals, which would assist the investigators in linking crime to the perpetrators.
i.Union Home Minister stated that NCRB plays a major role in handling the internal security of the country, especially the law and order situation.
ii.He also stated that the target of the second phase of the Inter-operable Criminal Justice System (ICJS) has been set by the Government of India, with an expenditure of about Rs. 3,500 crore by the year 2026.
iii.Following its completion, it should be made increasingly useful by using Artificial Intelligence, BlockChain, analytical tools and fingerprint systems.
iv.NCRB has a big role in handling the internal security of the country, especially the law and order situation
v.Data is required to make conferences and meetings held on the subject of crime, result-oriented and NCRB’s data is very useful for such efforts.
- It contributes in large measure to efforts in controlling the law and order situation in border districts
vi.Home Minister highlighted the three aspects which are important while dealing with data,
- Data should be accessible.
- Registration should be in a good format.
- Tools should also be created for its use.
Dividing work into these 3 parts will increase the utility of data by 20% in the next 5 years.
About National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB):
Director– Vivek Gogia
Headquarters– New Delhi, Delhi.