Mountaineers Arjun Vajpai and Bhupesh Kumar from Noida and Bulandshahr, UP respectively marked their names as the first person to climb a “six thousander” high unnamed peak in Himachal’s Spiti Valley.
- After scaling an unexplored 6180m high peak, they dubbed it as “Mount Kalam” in honour of Late “People’s President” Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam.
The duo started the expedition from Noida on October 8 and reached Batal camp in Himachal Pradesh on October 9. From there they climbed to Snout Camp 4100m, from Snout to Intermediate Camp at 4400m, then to Base camp at 4700m and then the Summit at 5500m. On the morning of October 14th, they reached the top of the peak (6,180m) and hoisted the tricolour.
About Mount Kalam
Mt. Kalam is situated near Bara Shigri glacier in Himachal Pradesh which is also the largest glacier after Gangotri in Himachal.
- The peak is at an altitude of 19,000 feet gives a breathtaking view of the Himalayan landscape.
About Arjun Vajpai
Arjun Vajpai is the third youngest Indian to climb Mount Everest at an age of 16 years, 11 months and 18 days.
- He became the youngest climber ever to summit Lhotse, aged 17 years, 11 months and 16 days.
- Arjun also became the youngest to summit Mt.Manaslu
About Bhupesh Kumar
Bhupesh Kumar has scaled 17 peaks in India.
There are nearly 300 peaks in the country which are taller than 6000m and they decided to scale the virgin peak to motivate the young generation.
The outer Himalayas lie between the lease Himalayas and the Indo Gangetic plain which is a source of three of the world’s major river systems: the Indus Basin, the Ganga-Brahmaputra Basin and the Yangtze Basin.
- Himalayas stretch across six nations: Bhutan, China, India, Nepal, Pakistan, and Afghanistan
- First people to ever reach the summit of Mount Everest – New Zealander Edmund Hillary and Nepalese Tenzing Norgay (1953)
- First woman to reach the summit of Mount Everest – Japanese mountain-climber Junko Tabei (1975)
- First Indian man to reach Mount Everest – Avtar Singh Cheema (1965)
- First Indian female to reach Mount Everest – Bachendri Pal (1984)
- Youngest Person to reach Mount Everest – US climber Jordan Romero at the age of 13 (2010)
- Youngest Indian to climb Mount Everest – Malavath Poorna at the age of 13 years, 11 months (2014)