India’s High Commissioner to Singapore, Vijay Singh Thakur, has received ‘Asian of the Year 2014’ award by leading Singapore daily The Straits Times, on behalf of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Singapore. The award was given to Mr. Narendra Modi in December 2014.
Why Mr. Narendra Modi?
Mr. Modi was Chosen for being a development-focused leader of India and getting the world excited about the prospects of the India again.
According to Straits Times editor Warren Fernandez, the editors recognized not only Mr. Modi’s track record as an administrator who propelled his home state Gujarat to global recognition but also for the promise he holds to re-energise India.
About the Award:
- In every December, editors of the Singapore daily pick an Asian whose actions have significantly impacted his own society or the wider Asian continent in the last 12 months.
- The award was instituted in 2012.
- While the inaugural award went to Myanmar President Thein Sein, in 2013 the award went to Chinese President Xi Jinping and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe
Modi is expected to visit Singapore in November this year, during which he would sign a strategic partnership agreement between the two countries.
Important Points to Remember:
- Singapore capital- Singapore
- Singapore Currency- Singapore Dollar
- Singapore President- Tony Tan
- Singapore, Prime Minister- Lee Hsien Loong